- Наши туры
- English Tours
- Akkerman and Shabo
- Askania Nova
- At the edge of the Roman Empire
- Bessarabian Adventure
- Birdwatching in the Danube Delta and Lake District
- Cultural – Historical Tour
- Danube Birding Adventure
- Danube Delta Duet: Ukraine and Romania
- Eco-Tour "Kinburn sand spit"
- Eco-tour "Kuyalnik"
- Eco-tour "Lower Dniester National Nature Park"
- Ecotour: Danube, Prut and Macin Mountains
- Gastronomic Tour ~ Bessarabian Cuisine
- Gastronomic tour "Exotic cuisine"
- Odessa-Mama and her realm
- The Wonderful Nature of the Lower Danube:
- Tiligul Landscape Park
- Walking in the Danube Delta and Lake District
- Wines of Odessa
- Прокат лодок
Akkerman and Shabo
The White Citadel and its White Wines
In the 6th century BC, Greeks from Miletus established the colony of Tyras on the western shore of the Dneister liman. It was known to Strabo, Ptolemy and Pliny. The settlement was later ruled by the Scythians, and was known as Asperon by Roman historians - which ment "white" in the local Pecheneg Language, after the appearance of the shoreline with its high content of shells. The word "white" has persisted ever since in various Slavic, Turkish and Romanian names for the town.
The magnificent medieval fortress, the only one now remaining southwestern Ukraine, was built between 1438 and 1454 by Master Fedorko, with 26 turrets, 4 gates, and a citadel whose walls are almost 2 km long. In 1484 the city was captured by the Turks and in 1503 renamed Akkerman (White Rock). During the 17th and 18th centuries it became the seat of the Bilhorod Cossack Horde. The city was an important trading centre through which passed one of the main trade routs, the Silk Way, from the Far East to Western Europe, and to the northern lands.
The city came under Russian rule in 1812. From 1918-1940 it belonged to Romania and was called Cetatea Alba (White City). It became part of the USSR in 1940, and in 1944 it was renamed Belgorod-Dnestrovsky (White Town on the Dneister). ..More...